Wednesday 14 June 2017

12 runs in 12 months!

Andrew is running to improve student mental health and explains how he is tying his passion for fundraising and sport together.
- Andrew Morbey

When I heard fellow Champion Fundraiser Jess Mell was doing the Sheffield Colour Run, I thought it was a great chance to participate in my first fundraiser, meet Jess and catch up with another long term friend. Whilst running the 5km circuit, I enjoyed the feeling of surrounding myself with other runners and walkers who were there to have fun and shared a common connection of fundraising. This is when I decided that I’d sign up to one 10km or half marathon each month for a year, as this was a great way of tying my passion for fundraising and sport together.


Having grown up in a very active and sporty family, I was out playing rugby, cricket and athletics at any opportunity I was given at school. Once school finished, with University round the corner, I struggled to keep fit and stay on top of my depression. However, by joining Lindfield Rugby Club back in Sydney I was able to keep motivated to exercise and turn up to training so that I didn’t let my team mates down. 

Fast forward to February this year when I arrived in England, I joined Burton Rugby Club to meet new people and attend training to keep up my fitness. It wasn’t long till I found myself moving to Warwick as I was offered a job at FEC Energy and with the rugby season coming to an end, I had to come up with a new way of staying fit. My initial thought was to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, but with depression, I found that finding the motivation to go by myself after a long day at work was hard.

Deciding to complete this year long fundraiser has given me motivation to train more seriously, running 5-10km once or twice a week as well as going to the gym. So far, I have completed the Sheffield Colour Run (April) and the Hercules Sporting Festival (May) in Watford, as well as signing up for the Hampshire Hoppit Half Marathon (June) and the Wimbledon Half Marathon (July).


It also helps when work is celebrating its 50th anniversary by organising walks, cycling and running events for the year for another mental health charity, Mind. In September, FEC Energy has allowed me to compete in the Warwickshire Wolf Run in a joint fundraiser for Mind and Student Minds.

Running gives me the freedom to explore the beautiful England countryside and discover the hidden places of Warwickshire, as well as staying fit and distracting my brain from over-thinking. Participating in running events around the UK has also encouraged me to do some weekends away, instead of sitting at home and sleeping all weekend.  



I am a twenty-five-year-old Aussie bloke chasing my dream of living in the UK. After buying my one-way ticket and making the big move, I came into contact with Student Minds through a mental health charity in Australia called Batyr. I applied for their Fundraising Champions initiative earlier this year, and when I was elected, my head filled up with ideas on how I can help break down this mental health stigma. I wanted to start by sharing my story with Student Minds and the extended mental health community.

Find out more about what the amazing fundraising champions are up to and donate here.

No comments:

Post a Comment